Welcome to the Monkeyhouse

When you grab a hold of me; Tell me that I'll never be set free; But I'm a parasite, creep and crawl I step into the night.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Oscar Picks

Back in the day, before mommy-hood, my husband and I used to see all the movies nominated for best picture prior to the Oscars. Not so much anymore. But, we still do fill out Oscar ballots just to make the award show a little interesting; it’s the Nevada in us. Anyway, here are my Oscar picks, for what I consider major categories this year. Keep in mind; I pretty much haven’t seen any of the movies/performances in question.

Actor-Leading
Phillip Seymour Hoffman (Capote) – The man is way overdue, he should have gotten one for Boogie Nights when he cried in the car and called himself a “fucking idiot”.





Actor-Supporting
Paul Giamatti (Cinderella Man) – Actually I think it would be cool for Matt Dillion to win in this category, but I just don’t think it’s going to happen. And, Paul Giamatti got screwed for Sideways last year, so I think this will make up for it (“If anyone orders merlot I'm leaving”).




Actress-Leading
Felicity Huffman (Transamerica) – The only performance that I’ve seen in the category is Reese Witherspoon in Walk the Line, although I like the movie, I don’t think its Oscar worthy, but I hear good things about Felicity Huffman, so might as well go with it.




Actress-Supporting
Amy Adams (Junebug) – Because she’s the first one listed on the ballot and she was in Drop Dead Gorgeous, which is so funny.







Animated Feature
Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit – My son likes it.








Art Direction
Good Night, and Good Luck – Just because I like movies in black and white, Dead Man is one of my favorite.







Cinematography

Batman Begins or Brokeback Mountain – I don’t think they will give it to Batman Begins because of the type of movie it is, but the scenes were he learning from Ra's Al-Ghul are sweet. I’m guessing it will go to Brokeback Mountain, which also has some wonderful Cinematography.





Costume Design
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Dressing Oompa-Loompas must to be hard.







Directing
Munich –Spielberg for the sake of begin Spielberg.












Makeup
Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith – Nuff Said.








Original Score
Brokeback Mountain – It’s everywhere.






Original Song
“It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp” (Hustle & Flow) – It has to win, the word “pimp” is in the title.







Best Picture
Brokeback Mountain – There might actually be rioting on the streets if it doesn’t win. But, don’t fear it will be gay men rioting, so that means they’ll be milling around making caddy comments about people’s clothes and some possible slap fights.




Screen Play – Adapted
The Constant Gardener – There was a lot of hype about this movie, so I’ll give it to them.







Screen Play – Original
Good Night, And Good Luck – They have to give Clooney something, I mean the guy was nominated in three categories. It’s the “Good Will Hunting” Award, we’re not going to give you anything for your performance but we love the why you type.

11 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

I would have to give original screenplay to woody allen for matchpoint. It was pretty flippin' good. And, like it or not, I think Reese is getting the Oscar for Walk the Line.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Housekeeper said...

Horrible showing:
Sister-14 correct
Cladeedah-11 correct
Husband-8 correct
Brother-in-law-6 correct
Me-5 correct...

Reaffirming that I am a loser

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Sweet Coalminer said...

Dude, I can totally see some guy's ass in that picture from brokeback mountain! Is that purposeful? Or is it like the picture of the house for sale showing those two dogs humping?

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Housekeeper said...

It was screen capture from the movie, and yea the butt is suppose to be there. I don't know if you've seen the movie, but the next sceen is Heath crouching next to a bucket cleaning his man parts, that's the picture I was trying to find, but the butt shot was as close as I got.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

Awe yeah, who's your bookie, baby?

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Yukon Sully said...

Sorry to come late to the discussion, but I've been busy lately.

I haven't taken Oscar seriously since 1994, when the safe, navel-gazing, Baby Boomer-felating "Forrest Gump" beat out the truly visionary "Pulp Fiction", a movie that has influenced pretty much every single action film made since. Every year the film that should win, the film that actually challenges it's audience, tests boundaries and takes a real stab at achieving something artistic always loses out to the "not-too-bad and basically safe" feel-good movie. It's almost an annual ritual. The syrupy "The Sound of Music" wins over "Doctor Zhivago". By-the-numbers "Rocky" beats edgy and provocative "Taxi Driver". So-so family drama "Kramer vs. Kramer" wins over surrealistically brilliant "Apocalypse Now." Not even so-so family drama "Ordinary People" beats Scorsese's masterpiece "Raging Bull." "Driving Miss Daisy" wins when "Do The Right Thing" isn't even nominated! And now they've done it again, as the incredibly ambitious (if flawed) "Brokeback Mountain" loses out to the toothless "Crash", a movie that allows us all to feel so very progressive and enlightened as we pat ourselves on the back for realizing that racial and ethnic prejudice is wrong. Only thing is, outside of a few wing-nuts no one's seriously arguing that premise anymore. "Crash" would have been a real triumph in 1964.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Sweet Coalminer said...

I have a 4-month-old. Of course I haven't seen the movie...

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Housekeeper said...

That's the best time to take them to a movie...I took my son to seen "Two Weeks Notice" when he was about 3.5 months old. We sat in the back, he slept in his carrier most of the time and when he was awake I would just stick him on the boob. Once they get to attentive you're screwed, and your not taking them again for a couple of years, and when that happens chances are you're seeing movies like "Chicken Little".

 
At 11:28 AM, Blogger Housekeeper said...

Although, I don't think I would have taken him to see Brokeback Mountain, I know he wouldn't have know what was going on, but it's just the principle.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I've also stopped taking the Oscars seriously...I generally agree w/ Yukon Sully.

And I have nothing to add a week later...

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Housekeeper said...

It's not so much that I care who wins, I just want to be right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home