Welcome to the Monkeyhouse

When you grab a hold of me; Tell me that I'll never be set free; But I'm a parasite, creep and crawl I step into the night.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

To busy to write about before update.

Last week was the Christmas Holiday Party at work and the time when you have to kiss ass to all the right people in the form of a gift. Usually, I do a little something for everyone in the department (24 people), but I just didn’t have the time and energy this year. So, I just stuck to my employees and my boss. But, when I got to work two other managers had gifts waiting for me. Damn, now I had to figure out what to get them. Thankfully, I had forgotten my present for the gift swap (I know, don’t you wish your job a fun like mine), so I raced home before the festivities to grab the gift I had forgotten and scrounge together something to give the other managers. Since I have a habit I buying all kinds of crap at Crate ‘N Barrel or Pottery Barn after Christmas sales it was pretty easy. One lady got a bottle of wine, because I like her, the other got a set of holiday dish towels. I also decided to give the other two managers in my department gift, that was so it wasn’t obvious that I was just trying to make up for the fact that they had gotten me something. The only male got a set of candy cane stripped candle, (I know candles are kinda lame, especially for a guy, but it was either that or a holiday mug and coco) and the other female got a cookbook. After everything was all said it done I think it turned out pretty well.

So, a couple of Fridays ago my mom had a layover in town on the way to Washington and we had breakfast, chit chatted and she gave me gifts for the family. Since my car in always full of junk, my husband’s present got squished, and the gift was just about falling out of the box, so I told him he might as well open it. It was a big ass sweater, which is the standard. My spouse is 6’7” and weights about 280 lbs, and he usually where’s a XLT in a sweater, depending on the cut maybe a 2XLT. My mom busts out with a 3XLT for him, I think she’s the only person who buys him things that are too big for him. I’m pretty sure that she has a distorted perception on how big he really is; the fact that she’s about 5’5” (just a bit taller then me) might have something to do with it. Anyway, I came home a couple of days later and saw the other gifts she gave us sitting there and decided to open the one that was for the family (We always go out of town for Christmas, so there’s no real good time to open these things). What did I find? I framed picture titled “Jesus Laughing” (which kinda looks like my crazy brother chuckling...last year she gave us two framed $1 bills with John Kerry's and George Bush's faces painted over Washington's) and a DVD of a black/white 1955 movie entitled “Miracle of Mercelino” (mind you, it did win Grand Prize at the 1955 Cannes Film Festival). I’m not exactly the most unreligious person, in fact I consider myself to be rather spiritual, but I just don’t feel the need to advertise it. I think displaying faith through speech or material demeans it. Also, I don’t want to be one of those people who preach one thing and does another. I have this uber Christian lady I work with who spends her lunch reading the bible, and the rest of the time she’s the gossipiest bitch you’ve ever meant. In fact, she’s usually able to include references of hell and damnation in her hypocritical, self-righteous rants about other people. With regard to the gifts, I’m thinking next year’s white elephant party.

2 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Blogger Sweet Coalminer said...

I think that would be a fun white elephant gift so long as no one knew you brought it...

Maybe she just thought that Christmas makes Jesus happy?

Your mom would not make a good living as a personal shopper.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Cladeedah said...

You have to post a picture of that sh-t.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home